Recordings and DVDs
- THE LAST SHOT GOT HIM (2014) Inspired by the voice of a 1934 Gibson archtop and named for a ragtime Blues from Mississippi John Hurt, the collection features blues, songs, and standards popular when the guitar was young – and one original song.
- THUNDER’S MOUTH (2008) My fifth solo CD is a dark, roots-oriented collection that reflects my long apprenticeship to African and African-American music and culture. The title song comes of split lineage – from Shakespeare and Civil War era slave narratives.
- THE FERAL CROW (2004) Topical and tender original songs, Ainslie’s “lyrics are articulate and often powerful” and he presents us with “new music rivaling anything from the Sixties or Seventies.”–George Graham/WVIA-FM
- YOU BETTER LIE DOWN (2002) Blues, old-time gospel and worksongs, some from Ainslie’s own field recordings, in solo settings, along with songs of David “Honeyboy” Edwards, Mississippi John Hurt, Lonnie Johnson, B. B. King, Sam Cooke, and Robert Johnson.
- TERRAPLANE (1997) Sixteen tracks of solo acoustic Blues on guitars and diddley bow!Songs by Bukka White, Blind Blake, Rev. Gary Davis, Robert Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt, John Jackson and four original Blues.
- JEALOUS OF THE MOON (1995) Like a great radio show: Blues, R&B, a little Jazz. Featuring songs by Robert Johnson, Van Morrison, J. B. Lenoir, and Ainslie’s title cut. Great settings of Wayfaring Stranger and Foster’s Hard Times.
Contributed Tracks on Compilations:
- BORDER SONGS (2012) This double-CD is compilation of artists committed to easing suffering and ending death along the USA/Mexico border. $20 from each sale of this CD will be donated to Tucson-based humanitarian group No More Deaths/No Mas Muertes.
- BANJO GATHERING (2007)
100% pure old-time banjo: unobscured, unaccompanied & unadulterated. Instructors from the Swannanoa Gathering, a music camp in the mountains outside of Asheville, NC, joined forces with other players for this “snapshop of what 23 contemporary old-time musicians do with their banjos when nobody is watching.”
This is a double CD with 50 tunes. Profits benefit the Swannanoa Gathering.